Monday, September 12, 2011

08/27/2011 - San Jacinto camping with Nick

Hello family, friends and curious readers,

I've been inactive since my zipline eco-tour on July 17.  Yup, almost 6 weeks of not getting out to enjoy the beautiful great outdoors.  It's depressing to stay concrete-bound.  I did things locally (Dragon boat races, Cajun festival, etc), but nothing that would equate to getting into a wilderness.  Anyway, I was able to quick-plan a backpacking & camping weekend, with thanks to my nephew Nick who was also wanting to get something done before the school semister began...

SAN JACINTO STATE PARK WILDERNESS  (tadaa!)
To get up to the San Jacinto State Park wilderness we took the fast way up - the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway (http://www.pstramway.com/).   Fast & efficient.  Unfortunately you have to go through Palm Springs to get there (that place it hot!).  The tram begins at Valley Station at 2,600' elevation in desert scrub and ascends to Mountain Station at 8,500' elevation in a mixed conifer forest, the entire ride lasts less than 15 minutes in a tram that turns 360° several times.  The wilderness at the top of the tramway maintains a temperature about 30°F less than Palm Springs at the bottom of the tramway.  Taking the tram is actually quite affordable and I plan to get a summer pass next year.  Once at the top we donned our backpacks for the short journey of just over 2 steadily inclining miles to the Round Valley campgrounds.  2 miles, I walk that to go to the market so who'd a thunk it would be so challanging.  I am sure the 9,000' altitude, the scattered showers and the 50lb backpack didn't help.  I am guessing at my pack being 50lbs because I am an idiot and I packed a 64oz bottle of juice, along with carrying another 132oz bottle in hand, then another 4 Liters of Smart water in my pack, 4 large oranges, 8 apples... I may as well have brought in a 5-gallon sparkletts bottle.  Smart Water my butt!  Next time, it's clorination tablets and a filter bottle.  Live and learn.  On the trip back, without all the fruit & liquids, the backpack was still 35lbs. 
We set up camp in a seriously remote location.  I don't even think it was on the maps yet, but it had a camp marker ("Quail camp", I believe).  Nick surprised me, he's playing mountain man and hanging food & trash from trees away from the tent, and at nightfall Nick made a nice camp meal (I was simply intending on the fruit & juice & water and keeping it light):  I brought boil-in-bag rice, and to that Nick added his cans of seasoned tomatoes & chicken & beans.  I'll have to learn some camp recipes so I can be the one to cook next time. It was fully dark before the meal finished cooking and stars were just starting to appear - Jupiter was the first light in the sky.  The stars!, My goodness what a beautiful sight we don't get to experience in the city.  The sky looked like a movie backdrop... pitch darkness with no street lights, and the sounds of the critters in the forest around us, and the occassional coyote howl was amazing. 
Nick's camp meal was actually quite tasty, but 2 guys sleeping in a closed tent at night after eating beans!  Really?!  Aside from the gastrointestinal music it was so peaceful in the forest.  I wish I brought my NOOK (one of the best gifts ever!) but I didn't want to damage it in the backpack.  Yet Nick brought a 'book', I don't know why I didn't think of an actual physical 'book' (what's that?, right?).
The next day we went hiking to find the campgrounds we were supposed to have stayed in (oops.  but the night before we were tired and lost the path somehow).  We explored some of the other camp sites in Round Valley first (that is where we saw the deer just 100' away) before finding Tamrack Valley campgrounds.  I really want to stay in those campgrounds next time.  Just 1/2 mile further and it has a small running stream (ahh, clorination tablets and filter bottles!).
Overall it was a really beautiful experience.  Even with all the water and extra weight I would not have missed it for the world.  I am looking forward to more of these camp adventures.  The paths were defined and easy to hike, the campgrounds were large with isolated private campsites.  And San Jacinto is relatively close to home, easy to get to by car.  Any takers for another hike or two next summer?

Along the path there are so many opportunities for scenic pictures.  I had a bit of work to limit the number down to those I've chosen below.   I had more than 130 pictures, every one worth sharing, so I hope I chose the best of the best.  The last 3 pictures are taken from inside the tram during the descent back down the mountain.

Nick, thanks again for sharing my interests in wilderness.  We've had some great hikes and experiences this summer.  If anyone else in the family would like to join in the adventures you are more than welcome.  There is always a laugh or two, and if I don't bleed at least once it wouldn't be considered hiking.  :-)

If you've read my chatter, thanks for hanging in there.  Enjoy the pictures I've gleaned from the camping trip in the San Jacinto State Park wilderness.
















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you like my posts or pictures.